The research for the alternate energy sources has gained pace in last few decades. A large number of companies are investing huge amounts to develop the renewable energy sources. Solar energy has proven to be a promising field and the solar potential is capped by a number of companies.
This cheap and environment friendly source of energy has gained popularity amongst people and they are switching to solar energy for the household chores as well.
Solar Drive By Google
Google is also aware of the vast potential of the solar energy and they have initiated their solar drive. The company has planned to power its campus by solar energy. In addition, a large portion of the housing facility is also going to be shifted on solar energy.
The programme was scheduled to be started in 2006 and estimated completion date was 2007.
Features Of The Programme
The solar initiative by the Google is a mega project in the field of solar energy. A few of the salient features of the project are listed below:-
1. The installation of over 9,200 solar panels to power the campus.
2. These solar panels are expected to produce about 1.6 MW electricity, which shall be used to power the campus.
3. It is estimated that about 30% of the electricity needs of the campus during peek hours shall be met by the installation of the solar energy.
4. The solar panels installed by the company shall cover an area of approximately four acres and they shall be producing enough energy to power a thousand homes.
Role Of EI Solutions
The contract for the installation of one of the world’s largest solar power system has been awarded by the Google to EI Solutions. The company is responsible for the installation and periodic maintenance of the equipment. In addition, the company is responsible to provide uninterrupted power supply to the facility.
Advantages Of Google’s Solar Initiative
A large number of benefits can be accrued from the solar initiative of Google. Few of these are:-
1. Save on money in terms of electricity costs. Although initial expenditure is higher but the same shall be compensated by the free energy provided by the facility in later years.
2. Promoting a green environment.
3. Act as a torch bearer for the other companies to follow the lead of the Google.